Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Second verse, same as the first

OK. I'm back.

I started training for an Iron-distance race in early 2008 shortly after an abdominal surgery. I started losing weight, signed up for a race and promptly became pregnant with a darling sweet baby girl who is nearly 11 months old. Combined with big sister, a new job and a household move, I lost fitness. I ran a couple shorter races very slowly this year. But they were ill-prepared efforts.

Now, my achy joints have been diagnosed as arthritis, so, time is of the essence. I want to make sure I get in at least one successful Ironman finish (and maybe more) in this lifetime. Now's the time. That darn Mohican Pineman in 2001 doesn't count.

So here are the goals:

Get to a strong, healthy weight. My current 177, is not it. I'm guessing somewhere between 150-160 is probably reasonable.
Eat a healthy, vegetarian diet
Build up my fitness in a smart way to be able to finish an Ironman distance race in 2010, which by the way will be my 12th year of triathlon (10 if you subtract the pregnant years).

So, there it is. My gauntlet. It's out there for whoever is listening.

I'm looking for support, encouragement and help carving out a little training time. (And if you know of anyone looking to sponsor a budding Ironmom, that help is welcome as well. :) )So, friends, feel free to join me and please help me keep to the program.

Tonight, hubby's out of town. Big girl is at a sleep over and baby is asleep, so I'm finishing up a straightening project in the basement and then getting on the treadmill. I haven't done much since my September half-marathon, but I've been running 2 or 3 miles here and there the past few weeks, so I'm thinking 45 minutes is doable. I'll let you know how it goes.

Restarting my journey to being Ironmom,
Katie

No comments: